The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is extending all possible help to the flood affected victims in Uttarakhand. DRDO being the centre for technological and medical expertise, as soon as it was learnt that Uttarakhand has been hit severely by heavy floods and landslides, it started to assist in the disaster relief in the affected areas.
· Defence Institute of Bio-Energy Research (DIBER), Haldwani has been designated as the nodal laboratory for disaster relief work from DRDO. DIBER, Haldwani in close liaison with administrative authorities in District Chamoli of Uttarakhand set up a relief camp in the disaster hit area. The location of the relief camp is at Govind Ghat enroute to Badrinath Dham and Hemkund Sahib. The recee party reached the spot on 21 Jun 2013 and identified the place for setting up the camp. The first relief party comprising of two scientists and five technical staff/support staff of DIBER started for the camp in the early hours of 22 Jun 2013 with necessary relief items. The party also had a Nursing Assistant alongwith Life- saving drugs.
· 5,000 bottles of Drinking Water was despatched from its laboratory in Dehradun on 21 Jun 2013.
· DRDO is also sending two Medical Officers and six Paramedical staff comprising combatants and non-combatants to form two functional teams to aid the disaster victims from Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS), Delhi. The team will carry sufficient quantity of all essential life-saving surgical and dressing material and with other medical consumables.
· Three tonnes of ready-to-reconstitute food (Sooji Halwa, Upma, Vegetable Pulao), ready-to-eat (Chapati, Dal), ready-to-drink (Milk, flavoured milk and water), from Defence Food Research Laboratory (DFRL), Mysore, is being airlifted from Bengaluru.
· From Defence Research and Development Establishment (DRDE), Gwalior, a team of scientists/technical staff with first-aid kit, detection kits as well as Insect repellents have been sent to DIBER, Haldwani for onward transmission.
- « Army Aviators Dare Weather
- Uttarakhand floods
- Rescue and Relief Operation by NDRF and ITBP in Uttarakhand »
Dr. Anil SinghalDRDO’s Contributions for Flood Victims in Uttarakhand
by Dr. Anil Singhal ( Author at Spirit India )
Posted on June 24th, 2013 at 12:33 pm.
Last updated on July 4th, 2013 at 12:34 pm.
Find more from SpiritIndia on: Uttarakhand floods