About 300 people were admitted to hospitals for food poisoning after they ate sweets infected with fungus in Ghotki town in Pakistan’s Sindh province.
Sindh’s Health Minister Sardar Ahmed said officially around 200 people had been treated in hospitals but the figure could be higher. Media reports said about 300 people were admitted to hospitals due to food poisoning on Monday. Police arrested the owner of a big sweet shop which supplied the infected sweets to other small shops in the area. People held demonstraions on Tuesday demanding action against the owner of the sweet shop, the reports said.