South Dakota businessman Denny Sanford has set a new standard in healthcare philanthropy with an unprecedented gift of $400 million to Sioux Valley Hospitals & Health System.
To acknowledge the expansion and enhancement of its mission as a result of the initiatives made possible by Mr. Sanford’s gift, the Sioux Valley Board of Trustees unanimously voted to re-name the healthcare system Sanford Health.
“We are grateful for Mr. Sanford’s continued support of what we can accomplish in the years ahead and his confidence in our ability to achieve extraordinary outcomes,” said Kelby Krabbenhoft, Sanford Health President and CEO. “As the region’s leading healthcare system, we will continue to focus on providing the highest level of patient care and the expansion of medical services. Mr. Sanford’s generosity will have broad and lasting benefits to healthcare and medical research not only here in our region, but throughout the United States and beyond.”
As part of the transformational announcement, Sanford Health announced it will use the $400 million to fund several initiatives:
* Investment in Children will establish five Sanford Pediatric Clinics across the country and will be fully integrated and linked with the facilities, programs, services and pediatric specialists at the Sanford Children’s Hospital;
* Sanford Research/USD (formerly South Dakota Health Research Foundation) will expand its five research institutes and create the Sanford Pediatric Research Institute to focus on the health research needs of children;
* The Sanford Project will convene a blue ribbon commission of leading experts to identify the most promising area for focused medical research on one pressing healthcare issue; and then assemble top scientists to undertake that specific research project, using Mr. Sanford’s funds to demonstrate capability and success that will attract funds from sources such as the National Institutes of Health;
* Sanford Healthcare Campus of the Future will implement a new approach to healthcare campus and facility design supporting the expansive healthcare services, medical research and educational activities of the system. Over time, more than 20 separate specialized facilities will be built around a world class medical center in Sioux Falls.
Sanford is CEO of United National Corporation, First Premier Bank, and Premier Bankcard, headquartered in Sioux Falls.
- « Red Cross :: American Red Cross urges caution at home
- Health :: Indian Ardh Kumbh serves as health platform »
Sub-editorGrant :: Sanford Provides Gift to Improve the Human Condition
by Sub-editor ( Author at Spirit India )
Posted on February 4th, 2007 at 1:23 pm.
Find more from SpiritIndia on: Health