A Po Tin Market fish stall in Tuen Mun has been closed after Vibrio cholerae was found in a water sample collected from its fish tank.
The water sample was collected from the stall on May 7 and the results today confirmed the presence of the bacterium, Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor serotype Inaba.
The Director of Food & Environmental Hygiene ordered the immediate closure of the fish stall under the Public Health & Municipal Services Ordinance.
The stall will remain closed until the director is satisfied with the overall hygiene condition of the premises and that there is no immediate health hazard.
Vibrio cholerae cannot survive high temperatures and can be killed by thorough cooking.