Abdominoplasty, or “tummy tuck” is a major surgical procedure that removes excess skin and fat from the stomach and tightens the abdominal muscles. Many people who are unable to achieve desired results with traditional diet and exercise seek a plastic surgery tummy tuck. The tummy tuck is the sixth most popular plastic surgery procedure in the US.
There are different types of tummy tuck surgeries, and the main difference is how much work is done and how large of an incision is needed.
– A mini tummy tuck is only performed on the abdominal area below the belly button.
– A traditional tummy tuck surgery is performed on the entire abdominal area, from the lower rib cage to the top of the pelvis.
When considering plastic surgery tummy tuck, it is important to meet with a qualified physician to discuss what options are best for you.
To determine if you would be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery, ask yourself the following questions:
– Are you within about 30% of your ideal weight? If you intend to lose more weight or become pregnant, you should probably wait to have a tummy tuck.
– Are you physically and emotionally healthy? The best candidates for tummy tuck surgery understand the associated risks and have the good health necessary for proper healing.
– Will you have the time to allow your body to heal properly? In some cases, an overnight stay in the hospital may be required, and healing can take up to 6 months to fully recover. During that time period, with your doctor’s permission you will be able to return to most normal activities.
– Can you afford the cost of a Plastic Surgery Tummy Tuck? Most insurance companies won’t cover the cost of the procedure. It is considered elective surgery.
Further consultation with your physician will of course be necessary to ultimately determine if a plastic surgery tummy tuck is right for you. It is important to do some research about surgeons in your area before you seriously consider a tummy tuck. Referrals can be very helpful, and quality tummy tuck surgeons tend to be concentrated in certain locales.
For example, in Newport Beach there are many qualified surgeons to select from. Similar results can be obtained in the greater Orange County as well as in New York City. Be sure to check the surgeon’s credentials with the American Board of Medical Specialties and your state medical board. In short, before your research before you decide on a tummy tuck.