It is made from the “Grease” a disease seen in horses. It is a nosode first proved and introduced by Boskowitz of Brooklyn who made the first potencies up to the 30th. It was later proved by Drs. Straube (using 30th potency), Raue, Carleton Smith, Wm. Jefferson, Guernsey, Selfridge, Burnett and Clarke. An extensive proving was carried out by W. P. Wesselhoeft, H.C. Allen, Steere, Holcombe and the students of Hering College in 1900 – 1901. They used 30th, 35th and 200th potencies.
In my humble opinion, for a better understanding of this drug we must study from ” Dr. J. H. Clarke’s A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica”, “H. C. Allen’s The Materia Medica of the Nosodes” and “O. A. Julian’s Materia Medica of the nosodes”.
The most positive points of prescribing according to O. A. Julian are:
* Dry skin, pruriginous with crust and cracks.
* Occipital headache; pale color of face.
* Turbid Urine having uric acid and acetone.
Some of the important indications according to J. H. Clarke are:
* Unhealthy, dry, rough skin remaining for years after vaccination.
* In small pox, measles and impetigo.
* On inferential grounds it may be used for bad effects of vaccination.
Burnett’s indications are
* Lower half of body affected, greasy skin and greasy eruptions.
* Slow pustulation never ending, as one heals another appears.
We must differentiate this drug from Thuja, Graph, and Petroleum. It is very important as a preventive to Small Pox, or for the bad effects of Anti-pox vaccine. It may be used in cases of Malignant pustules, Blood boils and Anthrax.
It is also useful when the patient has ‘Never been well since an attack of Chicken Pox’.
Throat: Throat symptoms especially the pain begins on the left side and extends to the right side.
Patient as a Person: Patient as a Person is Thirst less; sometimes water causes nausea.
Male Sexual system: Child constantly handles the Genital organ. (Hyos)
Back: Backache is one of the most prominent features of Malandrinum. It is especially marked in the sacral region; intense pain in the small of back, sacral region, in the dorsal region under the shoulder blade, chiefly the left side; it was almost most unbearable. We can try the 200th potency.
* Dr. Burnett cured with this remedy a case of Knock-knees (in a child who was constantly handling his penis).
* Weak ankles, easily turning on making a false step.
* Large blisters on soles of both feet- though there is no change of shoes.
* Skin exfoliated on both feet.
* Sore in all limbs and joints.
* Dry rough and unhealthy skin remaining for years after vaccination.
* Palms and soles thick, with deep rhagades, < in cold weather, from washing with any kind of soap.
Sleep: Dreams of troubles; of quarrels.
Dorlands Abridged Medical Dictionary defines Grease as “An (eczematous) inflammatory swelling in the horse’s leg with formation of cracks in the skin and excretion of oily matter”. Webster’s dictionary defines it as “An inflammation of the horse’s heels, suspending the ordinary greasy secretion of the part, and producing dryness and scurfiness, followed by cracks, ulceration, and fungous excrescences”. This complaint is more prevalent in damp cold conditions and unhygienic surroundings. Other names used for this condition are Scratches, Seborrheic Dermatitis, Mud Fever, and Scratched Heels. Scratches is nowadays a more commonly used word. A number of causes can lead to this condition. The one most often blamed is the bacteria, Staphylococcus aureus. Others included mange (a skin disease caused by the parasitic mites- which are arthropods of the order Acarina, except the ticks), fungal infections, photosensitization, and immune problems. In such cases secondary bacterial infections are also common. Usually, rear limbs are affected and if not treated it can lead to severe lameness. Swelling, pain, hair loss, and ulceration at the heels are the beginning stages. This can lead to eventual thickening of skin and abnormal masses. Lameness ranges from mild to very severe at all stages.
From the desk of: Prof. L. M. Khan, M.D.(HOM.)
HOD, Deptt. Of Organon, Homoeopathic Philosophy, Chronic Disease & Psychology,
National Institute of Homoeopathy, Kolkata, India.