Recently, Advanced Medical Optics recalls MoisturePlus contact lens solution. The company is taking this action as a precaution because of reports of a rare, but serious, eye infection, Acanthamoeba keratitis, caused by a parasite. The link between the solution and the infection was identified as a result of an investigation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
All contact lens users should closely adhere to the following measures to help prevent eye infections:
– Remove contact lenses before any activity involving contact with water, including showering, using a hot tub, or swimming.
– Wash hands with soap and water and dry them before handling contact lenses.
– Clean contact lenses according to manufacturer guidelines and instructions from an eye care professional.
– Use fresh cleaning or disinfecting solution each time lenses are cleaned and stored. Never reuse or top off old solution.
– Never use saline solution and rewetting drops to disinfect lenses. Neither solution is an effective or approved disinfectant.
– Schedule regular eye exams with your eye care professional
– Wear and replace contact lenses according to the schedule prescribed by your eye care professional.
– Store lenses in a proper storage case.
– Storage cases should be irrigated with sterile contact lens solution (never use tap water) and left open to dry after each use.
– Replace storage cases at least once every three months.